Update

18, March,2013

Well it’s been 2 years of boom and bust (but more bust).

I’m up to 36,000 words.  I’ve checked my daily progress on yWriter and this time last year I had 18,000.  At this rate I’m looking at another 3 years to a first draft of 90,000.

The PC slate is working well on the train, but to get the best from yWriter I find I need to be on my desktop.  I need to have 2 monitors so I can bounce from the chapter I’m writing to my notes and to other scenes.

Here’s a bit of a break down of my output.

  • 20,00 to 25,000 took about 2 months.
  • 25 to 30,000 took nearly 6 months.
  • 30 to 35,000 took a month  and half
  • My biggest day was 1300 words, but the next biggest was 600 words.
  • My daily range when (when I actually start) is 100 to 250 – this is mainly on the train to and from work.

Given this will most likely be another ‘trunk’ novel I’m thinking I might lower my target to 60,000.   I need to go through the process of polishing and completing an entire project.  I don’t want to get into the same cycle of endlessly scratching for more words and fiddling about.  I know 60,000 is in writing no-man’s land, too long to be a novella and too short to be a novel, but I think that might be how long the story is.

If I’m happy with it, and I get good feedback, I might dump it in the seething epub ocean so friends and family can access it.  If I’m really happy with it I might do the Podiobook thing, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

I’m going to try for a minimum of 150 words a day for at least 5 days of the week, that potentially gives me 3000 words a month and potentially gets me to 60,000 words by November/December.

So let’s be realistically optimistic and aim for a first draft by the end of January.

Advertisements